Rainbows of Promise

Promises. Promises. Promises

We've all heard those words before.  Some people keep their promises and many don't.  As a child, I would say, "I promise" to do so and so and then not do it.  Have you done that before as a child or as an adult lately?  I think we all have at some point in our lives.  We say we promise, but knowing full well we really don't.  We just want whatever it is at that moment and if we said, "I promise," we would get it.  Maybe as a child, you promised your parents you would clean your room or take out the trash.  Maybe you promised to babysit your little brother or sister.  I know as the oldest child in my family, I remember doing some babysitting myself.  But I started to think on this word, "promise." The Tyndale Bible Dictionary literally defines the word promise as a declaration by one person to another that something will or will not be done, giving the person to whom it is made the right to expect the performance of whatever has been specified. So, if you promise something or to do something for someone else, you SHOULD follow through with it...right?

Lately, I've been thinking on the beauty of God's promises.  Do you remember what God's first promise to us was? In the book of Genesis, after the devastating flood of the Earth, God made a covenant between Him and the earth to not ever flood the earth like that again.  God made a promise.  Do you think God intended to keep His promise?...of course He did. God said, 

“I establish My covenant with you; and all flesh shall never again be cut off by the water of the flood, neither shall there again be a flood to destroy the earth.” Genesis 9:11

"I set My bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of a covenant between Me and the earth. That never again shall a flood destroy the flesh of the earth." Genesis 9:13-15

“When the bow is in the cloud, then I will look upon it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.” Genesis 9:16

Two thousand years ago, God made His promise and He has kept it.  Why do we so easily not keep ours?  Why do we sometimes think God can't do what He says He can do?  He has taken me through some of the deepest valleys and highest mountains and was there with me the entire way.  He didn't leave me nor forsake me.  He PROMISED He would be there and He has...the whole way.  Let God be with you the whole way too; all through your life's journey.  All His promises are true and He will keep His promise to us.  When you see a beautiful rainbow in the sky, be reminded of God's love and promise to us all.

Blessings and Happy Monday!
Stacy 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Again!

Shining the Light

Sunshine and a Little Yellow Flower