People pleaser or God pleaser?

 Does your stomach get in knots when someone is upset with you?  Do you feel a little rain cloud over your head when someone you love is unhappy?   For many years I have been a people-pleaser.  When I was younger, I would say and do things to make people happy even if I felt they were wrong.  Also, I would keep quiet when I should of spoken up.  I felt it was my personal duty to make sure everyone was pleased with me and my performance.  Exhausting!

Not only is being a people-pleaser exhausting, it is not healthy nor Godly.  I can just hear someone saying, "but are we not suppose to love and care for others?"  Of course we are.  However, being a "people-pleaser" often has nothing to do with love and everything to do with fear.   We fear losing a friendship or love relationship.  We fear of losing status or position.  We fear failure and loss of approval.  We are called to love.  Love is a free gift that wants nothing in return.  However, when our goal is to please people more than pleasing God, our goal is no longer love; we want something in return.  We long for approval and love that can only be found in Christ and a personal relationship with Him.  When we seek to please a human and neglect pleasing God, we are destined for heartbreak.  Galatians 1:10 says:  For am i now seeking the approval of man, or of God?  or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man I would not be a servant of Christ.

We must have only one Master.  When we let someone control us out of fear, we are letting them master our lives.  However,  as we surrender our lives to Christ, we have all we need: love, approval, validation, security, purpose, peace, love, joy and so forth.  Let's search our hearts today. Who or what is on the throne of our heart?  Who is our master?   If anything or anyone is there other than Christ, we are in bondage instead of the freedom Christ longs for us to have.

Melaina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Again!

Sunshine and a Little Yellow Flower

Shining the Light