From Fear to Faith....Overcoming Anxiety

Do you ever wake up and feel like a ton of bricks is on your heart?  Do you ever wake up and feel sad and you are not sure why? Do you ever wake up and feel so anxious that you can't move?  I am convinced that most women today struggle with some level of  either anxiety or depression.  If that is you, I want to encourage you today!

We are emotional beings, that's for sure.   As women, our minds are constantly being filled with thoughts about our families, concerns for the future and much more.  We are complicated and complex, however, the Bible tells us that we are wonderfully and fearfully made! We are God's Masterpiece! (Psalms 139:14, Ephesians 2:10) Feelings are a part of this life and can be a blessing unless they began to control us.

I want to be real and share some of my story.   From as far back as I can remember, I have struggled with times of anxiety and depression.  I can remember when I was very young and my parents divorced.  I would go back and forth between the two for visits.  I loved both of my parents very much so I felt torn and remember often feeling so nervous that I would throw up. I also would feel a deep sadness for the parent I had to leave behind.  As I grew into a teenager, I had that same anxiety when dealing with issues at school and with friends.  I would either mask these feelings by trying to make everyone happy, or I would give into the negative feelings and listen to sad music and think hopeless thoughts. At age 22, I was born again and my life was filled with peace and joy.  Many fears and anxieties that use to control me were gone.  I would like to say I have never felt anxious or depressed again.  However, it has been a day by day journey for me.   After Chad and I were married I still had alot of fear and anxiety. I can remember a season when I felt so much fear that I would ask Chad to check under the bed at night to make sure no one was there.  I felt anxious about our kids, our marriage, our health, our jobs...many things.  I tried to control everything the kids did out of fear that something bad would happen. However, during that time, God had placed some strong Christian ladies in my life.   They would pray for me and remind me of scriptures to stand on.  As I grew closer to God and got deeper into His Word, I slowly replaced the fear with faith.   God used His Word to give me more freedom from fear and anxiety.   I admit, it would have been great if once I became a Christian all of my anxiety and depression disappeared.  On the other hand, I wouldn't trade it for the world because it has driven me closer to Christ and to be more dependent on Him.   I can also have a heart for people that struggle in this area.  

If you can relate to my story, I want you to know that there is hope in Christ. He has given us all we need in Him and His Word.  He IS setting us free day by day and year by year.   Keep walking with Him.  Keep trusting HIS Word over your feelings.  Surrender your fears, worries, sad heart, and anxieties to him....over and over if need be. Remember that our feelings do not change God's truth.  Stay in HIS Word and stay connected to HIS people. If you need prayer, please don't hesitate in contacting me.

Praying for you today!  God loves you and HE WILL finish what he started in you! (Philippians 1:6)

In Him,
Melaina

Below are some scriptures that God has used to set me free; day by day, year by year.

God did not give us a spirit of fear (anxiety or depression) but a Spirit of Power, Love and a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)

Cast all your anxiety on HIM because HE cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again--my Savior and my God!

Psalms 43:5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Again!

Sunshine and a Little Yellow Flower

Shining the Light