Sin Burns

It seems as if  I am always burning something in the kitchen, including but not limited to: soup, toast, pizza, eggs, quesadillas, my hands, and my arms.  A couple of years ago, I burned my arm while I was cooking Zach a pizza for lunch.  I had put my hot pad mitt on and opened up the door.  As I proceeded to pull the wire rack out, my arm BUMPED the higher wire rack above.  I am not kidding when I say bumped!  As I felt the heat, I promptly pulled my arm away.  However,  immediately a small burn "line" formed on my arm.  I was surprised because my arm might have touched the hot rack for about one second. However, within 5 minutes a large oblong clear blister formed on my skin.  As I marveled how fast I had received a burn, I couldn't help but relate the hot oven to sin in my life.  Sin is not pretty.  Sin is not harmless.  Sin burns!  Even when you "bump" into sin, it can leave damage.

When I was a young teenager I had a different view of sin.  Sin was all the "fun" stuff.  I just couldn't understand why the "fun" stuff had to be wrong.  However, as I have grown older, I see that sin not only hurts us, it hurts God.  Sometimes we want to see how far we can go without something being considered a sin.  Often, our focus is on the sin and not the Savior.  As Christians, we accept Christ into our heart and crown Him King of our lives.    For those of us that have made a lot of mistakes and have a lot of shortcomings, we know in our heart that we MUST have Him.  We our grateful and we praise Him.  We love Him because He first loved us.  He loves us.  He wants His best for us.  He hates the things that hurt us.  So, when God says "Don't do that", He is really saying "Don't burn yourself".  He knows that it only takes a second for the long-lasting effects of sin to leave a scar on our heart.

Is there anything in your life today that needs to go?  Is there anything that is a part of your daily routine that God has warned you about?  When we ignore God's Word and do our own thing, we always get wounds to the soul.  I propose that we seek to agree with God and call sin what it is; sin!  As we agree with God and get inline with His will for our lives, we can be filled up with His Spirit and have peace and joy.  As burns to the skin, sin can leave ugly reminders that we thought we knew more than God.

In Him,
Melaina

 You cannot fool God, so don’t make a fool of yourself! You will harvest what you plant.   If you follow your selfish desires, you will harvest destruction, but if you follow the Spirit, you will harvest eternal life. Galatians 6:7-8 CEV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Again!

Sunshine and a Little Yellow Flower

Shining the Light